You and I both know that playing youth sports is not all fun and games. You probably wouldn’t be reading my blog if it was that easy.
There’s a lot to enjoy, of course, but there’s also plenty that is very frustrating.
This list is not meant to discourage turn you against youth sports. I bring these things up because I feel it is our job as parents and coaches to change the culture of youth sports. See if YOU can make a difference and change one of these 9 things that no one likes about playing youth sports:
- Coaches who play favorites with athletes: How Will You Help Your Child Deal with the Unfairness of Youth Sports?
- Teammates who act like they are better than others: 3 Ways Youth Sports Parents Turn Athletes into Jerks
- Parents who coach from the sidelines: Sideline Parents: What to do?
- Coaches who say never anything encouraging or positive to say: Respecting the Coach: What if Your Child Struggles?
- Teammates who don’t seem like they are really trying to do their best in the game: 4 Tools Your Child Needs to Deal with Annoying Teammates
- Parents who always complain about playing time: Are You a Playing-time Junkie?
- Coaches who take youth sports way too seriously and don’t let kids enjoy themselves: What is the Balance Between Fun and Hard Work in Youth Sports?
- Parents who try to live vicariously through their child athletes: Parents Who Really Do What to Live Through their Kids
And the one that really really sucks is:
- Kids who are playing because they feel forced to, to only please their parents: Kids and Team Sports: Should Parents Push Their Kids to Play?
Playing Youth Sports: You Can Make a Difference!
You can change the culture of youth sports if you are willing to stand out from the craziness and make a positive difference!
Are you ready to pull your hair out with all the drama and conflicts you face in youth sports? Then the SportsParenting Survival Guide Series is for you! Check out my newest ebook in the Series:
Get my free new report: Sportsparents’ Guide: 55 time & money-saving tips guaranteed to make your life easier. You’ll also get regular sports parenting tips each week and a weekly parenting tip. Sign up here.