Parents have a reputations for not wanting to waste time.
“We’re wasting time, come on, let’s go!”
I’m sure there’s a very good reason for this. You don’t want your kids to be late to school or practice or church. You want your kids to get their homework done, get their room cleaned, get to dinner on time.
But I fear we’ve become a society that is very fastidious about wasting time. Are you one of those?
If so, you may be missing out on the amazing things that can happen when you choose to waste time, or even when you just let time be wasted without fighting it. Wasting time has gotten a bad rap; it does not necessarily mean that it is time that was thrown away like paper in a trash can.
When it comes to wasting time with your kids, the stakes are even higher. I fear that many of you who choose not to waste time now with your children will wind up hating yourself later for that choice.
Parents, Go Waste Your Time
Today, I want to encourage you to waste your time. Put down the housework, the computer, the emails that are screaming for your attention and go waste some time with your kids.
- Go outside and play a game of horse in the driveway, or catch, or volleyball, or marco polo in the pool. Do it until you and your kids are tired out.
- Take the kids for a last-minute ice cream cone run.
- Read the same book to your child over and over and over and over and over….
- Play the stupid game they always want to play, even if you hate it. For me it was Candy Land. Hated that game.
- Sit down and watch a movie or TV show with them.
There are literally hundreds of ways, parents, for your to waste time with your children. Look for the opportunities every day. I guarantee that wasting time with your kids will be one of the biggest investments you will make into their lives.
Do you want your child to learn life-shaping lessons as he plays sports?
If so, you are part of the Positive Sports Parenting Tribe!
- Get a weekly parenting newsletter with tips for raising kids with character in sports and in life. When you sign up, you’ll receive my free report: Sportsparents’ Guide: 55 time & money-saving tips guaranteed to make your life easier.
- Arm yourself with sports parenting tools from my Sportsparenting Survival Guide series.