I’ve been a follower of Christ for a very long time, but over the past year our family has traveled a rather difficult journey and because of that, I’ve grown more dependent on my Father and I think I’ve taken some baby steps in what it means to really trust God.
But no matter how “spiritual” I think I am becoming, it seems there are still circumstances that push me a little too far and my response leaves me thinking, “Well, I guess I’m not so ‘good’ after all!”
You know what I’m talking about. Buttons. Things people do that–no matter how ‘godly’ we have become–always manage push us to a not-so-godly reaction.
I’m gonna lay out my top five for you here and now, in hopes that confessing will help me become more aware of my need to eliminate those buttons from my life!
MY TOP FIVE BUTTONS
1. Clutter. Left carelessly by my three wonderful children after I have repeatedly asked them to unclutter the living areas.
2. People with an arrogant attitude. Especially cocky athletes that play with or against my kids. GRRRRRRR.
3. Personal attacks. Either on someone I know and love or on me. I just wanna go punch them in the face!
4. Life’s unfairness. I hate it when the bad guy wins.
5. When my kids fight. I just wanna go hide when they start going at each other.
I think that perhaps there has been progress as I’ve matured. Sometimes the buttons are not so sensitive to the touch. Other times they get pushed and the reaction flares, but it is short-lived and it does not produce bad stuff. And more and more there are the times when those doggone buttons are actually dead.
There will always be people in my life who will try to push my buttons. Where’s the mute button when I need it?
Tell me what YOUR buttons are.