When I have a question—any question—about sports, I know right where to turn.
My 20-year-old son is a walking sports encyclopedia. And he doesn’t just know facts. He knows character–good and bad. He reads about the athletes, watches them,and follows them on twitter. So when I was curious about which athletes are inspiring, I went straight to him. Here’s his top ten list with his reasons in italics:
2. Chris Coghlan is the Florida Marlins’ left fielder. He plays hard, is very outgoing with his faith and you can tell he is playing for the love of the game more than the money.
3. Tim Tebow. Who doesn’t know about Tim Tebow? Formerly QB for the Florida Gators, Tim now plays QB for the Denver Broncos. I love the way he uses everyone’s doubt about him to motivate him. That is something all athletes try to do, but he actually follows through and you can definitely tell it has paid off. Book comes out in April.
4. Brett Favre. Really? I don’t know that I would have chosen him as inspiring, but my son has his reasons: Brett has gone through so much off the field but I love watching him on the field, the passion he plays with, the fun he has. He doesn’t keep playing because of the money, he keeps playing because of the fun he has when he plays football. Read his book.
5. Dwyane Wade. This Miami Heat guard plays with passion. When the big 3 signed in Miami, which player took the least amount of money in order to make it work? Dwyane Wade. Yeah, he is still making a ton of money, but still.
6. Peyton Manning is, duh, QB for the Indianapolis Colts. Watching him play is a work of art; he could go down as the greatest quarterback of all time and nobody works harder than Peyton. Read his biography.
7. Phillip Rivers plays QB for the San Diego chargers. I still remember when he played injured, he had a torn ACL. That is toughness lots of guys want to have, and if he didn’t have all of his teammates respect before, he did after that game.
8. Blake Griffin is a power forward for the Los Angeles Clippers. I just love the way he plays the game, with so much energy and effort. If there is a Clippers game on TV, I’m watching it because Blake is playing.
9. Gaby Sanchez plays first base for the Florida Marlins. My son sees Gaby through the eyes of a football player! Watch this video. Gaby is the one that flies in and close-lines the guy who charged his pitcher, ‘nough said.
10. Albert Pujols is the first baseman for the St. Louis Cardinals. This guy is one of the best in the game of baseball, super humble about it. One of the classiest players in the game and I just like the way he goes about his life, great example for kids, and aspiring athletets, class act. Read his book.
What athletes inspire you? What athletes inspire your kids?