One year ago I wrote a post called 10 things I will do to enjoy my daughter’s senior year of high school.
(Where did the year go????)
My determination to enjoy her senior year did not slow down the clock. It didn’t take away the sadness at facing the Empty Nest. But I hope it made me a better mom and helped to make her senior year unforgettable.
Here’s what I tried to do:
1. Take lots of pictures.
2. Go to every event/game of hers I possibly can.
3. Never, ever turn down a chance to spend time with my daughter, even if it means stepping out of my comfort zone, even if it means lack of sleep.
4. When she wants to talk, I will put aside whatever I am doing and take advantage of those rare and precious moments.
5. Not nag her about her messy room because nagging always leads to conflict.
6. Remain calm about her stuff cluttering the family room.
7. Tell her often how much I love her and how proud I am of her.
8. Every once in awhile spoil her, just a little.
9. Focus on things that really matter, not the dumb little trivial issues we parents sometimes tend to obsess over.
10. Laugh with her alot.
Mom and Dad, now it’s your turn if you have a high school senior. Make the most of your time!
In re-reading the post, I had to give myself a B minus. I wonder what grade she would give me?