I’m excited to have my friend and fellow parenting writer Jackie Bledsoe writing about raising championship-level kids. He’s always got good things to say, so listen up!
Today, the Sweet 16 round of the NCAA Basketball Tournament kicks off. And in living up to its name of March Madness, this tournament has been exactly what we expected. Great games, upsets, and broken brackets.
And now, as we are down to the Sweet 16, coaches are trying to get their teams to a championship-level. As a former college athlete, current youth sports coach, and avid sports fan, one thing I’ve learned is very few teams, if any, reach a championship-level if they don’t have a championship-level coach.
Championship-level coaches know how to bring out the best in their players, and get them prepared to make that championship run. I believe the same is true with it comes to parenting.
It takes a championship-level parent to prepare their kids to win on and off the field.
Check out this excerpt from my March Madness inspired book, March DADness: Preparing Dads to Make a Championship Run in Fatherhood. In the book I use the Sweet 16 round of the NCAA Tournament to help parents help their kids reach a championship-level.
The joy in giving to our kids
As a dad, there isn’t much to compare with giving to your kids. We get so excited and go all out for birthdays and holidays as this is a time we get to give gifts to our kids.
We enjoy the looks on their faces when they tear open a package. We melt as they jump into our arms and squeeze us as a thank you for the gift they’ve received. And we proudly watch as they play with or use the gift we’ve given them. Those moments are all priceless.
Give more lasting gifts to our kids
Giving material gifts is wonderful. However, we all understand these gifts will not last forever, nor will our kids enjoy them forever. Many times that enjoyment only lasts until the next day!
There are some gifts we can give which will have a more lasting impact on our children. Gifts which will grow your relationship with your kids. Gifts that prepare your kids to handle life better.
These are the best gifts, given by the best dads. Giving these will help you to continue your March DADness championship run in fatherhood. I encourage you to continue to continue giving gifts to your kids.
While you do, be intentional about giving the kinds of gifts that have the greatest impact on your relationship and their lives.
16 Gifts the Best Dads Give Their Kids
- Your time. Gifts and stuff are great and fun. But nothing is more important and valuable to your kids than spending quality time with them.
- Good examples. There are so many influences, both good and bad, in our kids’ lives today. As a dad one of the best things you can give them is good examples. As a man, a husband, a dad, and a leader.
- A good name. What you call them has an impact on what they become. They may already have your last name, but what does that name represent? The (first and middle) names we chose for our kids actually have meaning, and we can honestly say they live according to their names. New dads, are you naming your kids something because it sounds good, or does it mean something?
- Support. A child with the support of their father can accomplish great things. Support is not just in words, but action. Actually show up, actually get down and dirty to help, and do what you can to help your kids achieve their dreams.
- Respect. Although our kids are little people, they still deserve our respect. The best way to get them to respect you, is to respect them. Don’t talk down on them, talk to them. Still be the dad, but treat them as you would want to be treated.
To read the rest of this Sweet 16, visit my blog and get your FREE copy of the book, and join my March DADness bracket challenge.
What is the best gift you have given your kids and why?
Jackie Bledsoe, Jr. is a follower of Christ, a husband, and a dad. He’s a writer and speaker on a mission to help men grow in their most important roles. The roles of husband and father. He’s the author of The Family Leader’s Manifesto, and creator of The 7 Rings of Marriage TM. Connect with Jackie on his blog, JackieBledsoe.com.
Don’t waste another minute! The next season of youth sports is upon you.
Get my free new report: Sportsparents’ Guide: 55 time & money-saving tips guaranteed to make your life easier. You’ll also get regular sports parenting tips each week and a weekly parenting tip. Sign up here.