Healthy Team Snacks are not just for t-ball and peewee soccer. Big kids need healthy food too.
When my oldest daughter played travel softball–from middle school all the way through high school–a mom would always bring a cooler of healthy snacks. Much better, and much cheaper, than the snack bar offerings, for sure!
Yes, it takes time to pack the cooler, but these suggestions are way better for your child than fast, junk food. Obviously, some of those ideas take more work than others, but there’s enough variety to find a snack that fits your lifestyle.
- Cut-up fresh fruit (a great during-the-game snack)
- Dried fruit packets
- Low-sugar, low-fat granola bars
- String cheese
- Home-made granola. Try the recipe I make almost weekly. It’s super easy and my grown kids still love it!
- Whole-grain crackers
- Trail Mix
- Individual almond packets (available at places like Sams or Costco)
- Beef jerky
- Carrots/celery with hummus or you can buy individually packaged carrots with ranch dressing. You can also buy individual servings of hummus at Costco or Sams.
- Pistachios and cashews. Use snack size baggies to make individual servings.
- Sunflower seeds (what softball game is complete without them?)
- Rice Cakes
- Low-sugar cereals good for munching on
- Low-sugar protein bars
- Crackers or bagels: Opt for whole-grain versions if you can; top with peanut butter, cheese, or low-fat cream cheese
- Low-fat muffins.
- Hard boiled or deviled eggs
- No-bake energy bites
- Rolled up cheese/turkey slices
- Oatmeal/raisin bars
- Mini-bagels with honey, peanut butter or cream cheese
Bringing healthy team snacks is only half the battle; the other half is organizing the job and keeping track of who is to bring what, and when they are to bring it.
TeamSnap’s online team management software has a special page just for refreshments. With it you can coordinate team snacks, display game schedule with date, time & location, delegate refreshment responsibilities, and track refreshments for each game.
You have a chance to win a free ultra plan to TeamSnap! Keep Reading!
This week and for two more weeks, Teamsnap and JBM Thinks SportsParenting will be giving away these two free prizes to 3 people!
- TeamSnap will be giving away an Ultra-Plan worth $15.99 per month
- I will be giving away an ebook from my Sports Parenting Survival Guide series (you choose basketball, football, softball, or volleyball)
To enter to win these two prizes, do one of the following:
- leave a comment on this post
- leave a comment about the giveaway on Teamsnap’s Facebook page
- leave a comment about the giveaway on Sportsparenting’s Facebook page
The winner will be notified at the end of the week! Leave your comment now!
Get my free new report: Sportsparents’ Guide: 55 time & money-saving tips guaranteed to make your life easier. You’ll also get regular sports parenting tips each week and a weekly parenting tip. Sign up here.