Angry parents sue coaches…what has youth sports turned into?

Parents suing coaches.

Parents suing schools.

Parents suing leagues.

Coaches counter-suing parents.

What in the heck has happened to youth sports?

This story posted on ABC News is enough to make you boycott competition.

Are youth sports out of control? Is there no turning back?

Angry Parents Take School Coaches to Court.

Email Janis using the Provided Contact Form

Follow JBMThinks on Facebook or Twitter

Comments

1. says

….and people wonder why it’s so hard to find a coach! I’m continually surprised at how much people are willing to sue rather than take their lumps or take personal responsibility. You get your feelings hurt – you deal…..you don’t sue!

Thanks for sharing…

• Janis says

For sure, Ann…I sometimes worried if my husband would get sued! He’s been coaching for 28 years. Thankfully, it hasn’t happened. Thanks for stopping by!

2. says

It’s hard enough coaching kids and dealing with parents. Now coaches have to worry about getting sued for making coaching decisions? Pathetic. Can you say “entitled?”

3. says

I have seen first hand conflict brought about by emotional parents in youth sports. My son’s football coach did a great thing one day, before the season started he wrote up a parent contract and he read it to parents and made them sign it. He did say: “I am not saying that you guys are going to be that emotional parent but it has happened in the past and I just want to make sure you guys know it is not acceptable”. Most parents agreed, signed it and behaved during the season.

• Janis says

Karla, that is a great idea! My husband has done it before in his coaching too. Unfortunately, I’ve seen parents who have signed it and have not abided by it! Maybe they should be sued for breach of contract!

4. says

It seems kids can’t play just for the fun of the sport. Some parents are just too uptight. After all, it’s just a game.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

• Janis says

Yes, parents are super uptight! I’m competitive by nature, so I totally get that side of it. But in the perspective of life, come on!

5. Steve says

So when a group of coaches have a connection or ties to a few of it’s team players, and they continue to make errors, but the coaching staff refuses to put another bench player in the game for 8 games straight….. do they have the right to sue for their money back? Is this not discrimination? They all paid the same amount to play, but the division of playing time is heavily given to those in the “group” and not based on talent?

• Janis says

Steve, that is a very frustrating scenario. We actually faced a situation very similiar to that with out daughter in high school. She was 3rd string catcher on a very elite traveling softball team and we paid good money for her to be on that team, but she saw very little playing time. The thing was, we knew that going in. We looked at that as an opportunity for her to practice and work with a really good team, even if she didn’t get playing time. I guess it boils down to parents getting a clear picture of what to expect when they pay for their kids to play on a traveling team. Before I paid a dime, I would want to know the coaching philosophy of the coach as far as playing time and he should clearly communicate that so the parent knows whether they want to sign up. If my kid sat for 8 games straight and I was told they would play, I would certainly go to those coaches and demand some kind of refund. But it would not be because of pettiness like the story I referred to, it would be because the coaches didn’t communicate to me as a parent what I could expect for my child being on their team.

6. says

I am really impressed with your writing abilities and also with the layout in your weblog.
    Is that this a paid subject matter or did you modify
    it your self? Either way stay up the nice quality writing, it’s uncommon to peer a nice blog like this one today..

Here is my web-site – ノースフェイス ダウンジャケット 新作